Lead Teacher 0-3 #LT-IOLA-A
Reports to: Site Manger/Director
Department: Early Childhood Services
Partner with staff to ensure that the program that provides quality and developmentally appropriate services to children and families and establish a work climate that nurtures growth, learning, and positive interaction while ensuring that all Head Start Performance Standards and state child care guidelines are maintained at all times.
• Promote and model excellence in daily program operations that support the provision of quality services for children and families, and a learning environment where all staff can thrive.
• Responsible for daily leadership, supervision, training, and modeling of best practices for center staff and volunteers.
• Obtain and share knowledge of theories and techniques regarding Early Childhood development.
• Basic care for the needs of children including but not limited to diapering, feeding, and napping routines
• Conduct home visits and parent teacher conferences.
• Create and implement developmentally appropriate weekly lesson plans individualizing for children’s needs by using observations.
• Work in conjunction with the Family Advocate to support family engagement.
• Implement and maintain the Head Start Performance Standards, Policies and Procedures, KDHE Licensing and best practices, CACFP Infant Feeding Guild lines, Personnel Manual, Positive Behavior Support (PBS), Animated Literacy, Reflective Supervision, ERSEA, Apricot, Creative Curriculum, Second Step, and monthly Program Information Report (PIR), and recruitment plans to ensure compliance.
• Provide regular supervision and support of staff through recognized practices such as reflective supervision, training and performance appraisal systems for assigned staff.
• Participate in monthly mental health clinical consultations to support staff, enrolled children and their families.
• Observe in the classroom to help provide staff ongoing support and training.
• Be responsible for the provision of Education, Social Services, Parent Involvement, Health, Nutrition, Mental Health and Disability services to assigned families with assistance from the Management Team and Site Manager.
• Lead classroom staff to recruit, train and schedule parent and community volunteers and document volunteer hours.
• Facilitate and plan classroom team meetings, guiding the problem-solving process and/or seeking assistance to assure delivery of services.
• Responsible for completion of data entry in agency approved data system.
• Be available travel within agency area and occasional out of area trips for training and professional development.
• Be an advocate for Head Start children and families.
• Model for staff and families appropriate ways to engage with children 0-3 years old.
• Model for staff appropriate ways to engage with families.
• Provide child progress report during parent teacher conferences, home visits and/or upon request of parent.
• Identify children and prenatal mothers’ nutritional needs, ensure that children’s allergy/dietary information in the kitchen and other appropriate locations and inform necessary staff.
• Complete necessary forms and documentation relevant to program and staff management.
• Assess children and help support staff and families to conduct developmental and social emotional screenings.
• Individualize teaching to enable children to attain school readiness and social emotional goals with the assistance of families.
• Ensure parents/primary caregivers are informed of all policies included in the Parent Handbook.
• Develop relationships with education and administrative staff at local schools to ensure smooth transitions to new educational settings for all Head Start children.
• Set up a developmentally appropriate classroom based on Head Start Performance Standards-using Creative Curriculum, and PBS (Positive Behavior Support) and other identified strategies with assistances from Program Manager, Area Manager, and Site Manager as needed.
• Screen and observe the developmental level of each child making appropriate referrals to the local Special Education Services • Directly supervise assistant teacher and paraprofessional positions.
• Cross train for all center positions
• Be available as first line of communication with classroom staff.
• Complete and submit performance appraisals for staff you will be supervising
• Ability to work unconventional business hours.
• Utilize Positive Behavior Support (PBS) strategies to prevent and reduce challenging behavior.
• Respect and support cultural differences and diverse family structures.
• Maintain dependable, punctual attendance, and adhere to appropriate break times.
• Attend mandatory In-Service trainings and staff meetings.
• Responsibility to report any suspected abuse or neglect to the appropriate authority.
• Advocate for SEK-CAP, Inc. in the community.
• Maintain and assure confidentiality and privacy of SEK-CAP customers.
• Uphold and promote the core values and mission statement of SEK-CAP
• Support management decisions both in actions and words.
• Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• Basic computer and electronic equipment skills
• Basic operation skills of general office equipment such as photocopiers, faxes, and phone systems.
• Superior interpersonal skills. Ability to get along with diverse personalities; tactful, mature, and flexible.
• Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the general public and to communicate effectively and clearly both orally and in writing.
• Resourceful and well organized.
• Ability to establish and maintain positive, effective working relationships with co-workers, community partners, and customers.
• Ability to learn and adapt.
• Proficient knowledge of local community resources.
• Previous supervisory experience.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• Prefer a bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood or Degree in related field with 15 hours in Early Childhood education, or Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education or degree in related field with 15 hours in Early Childhood. Minimum requirement have or obtain an Infant/ Toddler CDA per the Head Start Act and state licensing.
• 3-5-year experience working with young children in a classroom setting preferred.
• Be eligible to obtain KDHE program approval.
• Obtain CDA credentials within 6 months of employment and keep current if does not have Early Childhood equivalent degree
• Obtain First Aid and CPR certification at orientation and keep current.
• Successfully complete a physical exam and TB skin test before beginning employment and every three years thereafter.
• Submit to and pass standard criminal history check.
• Possess current, valid driver’s license and meet agency insurance underwriting guidelines.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
• Reach with hands and arms.
• Sit or occasionally stand; walk and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
• Regularly lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
• Required vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• Occasional exposure to wet and/or humid conditions.
• Outside weather conditions.
• Extreme cold and extreme heat.
• Noise level is usually quiet to moderate.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
“I have presented this job description to the employee and all aspects of the position have been reviewed.”
Supervisor Signature: _______________________________________
“I have read this job description and thoroughly discussed the contents with my supervisor.”
Employee Signature: _______________________________________
APPLY HERE - https://forms.microsoft.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=E30-qlkNjEa3sVhkFe2BtvEFS0H-ugdOhiI5xTbW9etUNkFRVzMwMVNHWEdESjM5QUpJUElSOTM0Sy4u